Interpersonal communication problem



This incident happened in the previous company where I worked as an intern - there was a misunderstanding between the CEO of a company, his secretary, and myself, who at that time was a junior travel consultant.

Most of the time, agencies like the one I worked in receives calls from secretaries to settle travel arrangements. However, occasions whereby the CEO themselves directly calling the agency to settle and or alter their travel arrangements is not unheard of.
Which was what happened in this case. The CEO himself called me and made a special request to book a seat in the business class for a two hour flight, which was against the company policy. On top of that, the difference in prices were paid through his personal credit card - a crucial piece of information that was lost in the process of communication between the secretary and her CEO. His secretary singled me out for I was the one who completed the transaction, and immediately set out to confront me harshly regarding the issue. She did not allow me to explain myself thus forcing me to sit through the whole ordeal.

Looking back upon this incident, I have concluded that one possible root cause for this unfavorable outcome is due to the fact that there was a communication break down on their end of the company. A mistake that the secretary had assumed the agency had been responsible for. I felt terrible for having been treated harshly despite the fact that the issue was not caused by my negligence. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this conflict scenario, Michelle. It's a clear interpersonal communication problem, but I wonder if you could tweak the description so that your peer reader would be asked to give feedback in terms of how you might resolve the conflict.

    I'd be happy to see proposed solutions from your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Michelle,

    It would seem that we have all encountered unfair situations like that where the fault does not lie with us but within the other party's communication channels and styles. Hence, I can only offer you my condolences that you had to sit through such unjust and if this situation should occur again, it would be highly possible that you would need to drown your sorrows with beverages containing a percentage of 40% alcohol mainly in the form of whiskey or vodka and seek to overcome the tragedy with a slight high that will take you to nirvana and ease the burdens on your mind for the night.

    Cheers,
    Wey Hau

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle,

    Thank you for sharing this issue. We, as a team, understood the hurt that you have experienced during your internship.

    It seemed that you froze when approached by the secretary. Instead of freezing, you could have made an apology to acknowledge the fault. This could have helped appeased her and perhaps open opportunities for dialogue between the both of you. After which, you should be assertive and make a firm stand to establish the fact that it was not your fault, and solve the issue at its root.

    Learn, Share & Teach,
    Kohmin, Samuel and Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment