Self Introduction

To: brad.blackstone@singaporetech.edu.sg
Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Brad,
I am Michelle, a student in your Career Professional Development 2 (CPD2). Allow me to formally introduce myself to you through this email.

I migrated to Singapore from Jakarta at the age of 10, and have struggled with the English language ever since. Language is not my strong suit and there always seem to be an endless list of improvement to be made.

When I entered secondary 3, I decided to pursue both science and humanity equally to stall for time in hope to find out what I want to do in the future. When the time came, I enrolled into Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM) in Temasek Polytechnic and embarked on a journey geared towards the service industry.

I was an intern at American Express Global Business Travel (Amex GBT) as a junior travel consultant for six months. By the end of which, I was offered the opportunity to stay on as a full-time staff – which I accepted, thus filling my window of time during the wait for acceptance in Singapore Institute of Technology SIT. Though I enjoyed what I did, I realised that I do not have the knack on interacting with customers behind monitor screens and telephone calls.

I am currently working at an Italian restaurant as a part-time waitress and have learned the ways of the industry after having stayed in the same company for close to five years. I enjoy serving customers as it gives me a strange sense of accomplishment. Other than service, the manager of the restaurant has kindly exposed me to inventory check & control, revenue management, staff scheduling and many other aspects of the business.
In terms of communication, one of my biggest strengths lies in my listening skills. I can empathise easily, thus making me a great listener. On the other hand, however, I possess no assertiveness nor confidence when it comes to conveying ideas and public speaking. Therefore, the two goals I would like to achieve in this module is to polish my presentation skills and work on my body language to portray confidence.

I am very much looking forward to your classes and learning from you.

Warm Regards,
Maryann Michelle Tan

Comments

  1. Hello Michelle!

    I enjoyed reading your post and it has helped me understand you more as an individual. I was a bit confused at the part where you "pursue both science and humanity equally to stall for time". Did you take all three sciences and all three humanities subjects? If so, that's really amazing.

    I was hoping you would talk more about yourself so I could know you better, as you seemed really shy.


    See you around in class and in SIT@Dover!

    Best regards
    Jin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jin!

      Yes I took pure Geography and Biology as well as combine physics and history.

      Shy is a common first impression I receive but when you know me better I can get pretty chatty.

      Hopefully we will have more chance to interact in the future.

      See you around!

      Warm Regards,
      Michelle Tan

      Delete
  2. Dear Michelle (or Maryann?),

    Thank you very much for this clear, comprehensive reflection on your background, communication strengths and weaknesses and your goals. I appreciate in particular learning about your rich job experience, one that you detail very well. It seems that you are really well rounded in your skills in terms of work competencies.

    You mention that you immigrated to Singapore at age 10 and that English has been a bane, but I find your language fluent. In terms of how you can refine this letter, please see the following:

    1. subject-verb agreement
    -- there always seem to be an endless list .... >>> ?

    2. sentence structure
    -- as a junior travel consultant for six months. By the end of which, I was offered the opportunity to stay.... >>> (relative clause issue)

    3. transition
    -- On the other hand, however, I possess no... >>> (Is 'however' needed?)

    I really appreciate your sharing and look forward to learning more from you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brad,

      I am more commonly known as Michelle.

      Thank you for your constructive feedback on how to make my writing more refined. I keep them in mind for the subsequent assignment.

      See you in class!

      Warm Regards,
      Michelle Tan

      Delete
  3. Hi Michelle,

    Your language is fine! For the past few trimesters, whenever you did your presentation, I feel that your communication is clear and could be understood easily. I did not face any difficulty comprehending your messages. In fact, I was quite amazed because you were able to deliver your messages clearly, and I have always admired people who are able to do that.

    You do have your accent at times but that is great because I personally feel it adds a sense of uniquess and personal touch in the conversation, it is more, Michelle-y. Thank you for adding colours to everyone you have met with your fun personality!

    Regards,
    Farhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Farhan,

      Thank you for your kind words. It gives me great confidence knowing that people understood my presentation and my communication in general.

      Thank you for bring in humor to every possible moment!

      See you around!

      Warm Regards,
      Michelle Tan

      Delete

Post a Comment